You can still be a speed reader

"If I could learn to read faster, I’d have achieved my goals".

While some claim they could read 2,000 words a minute with 95 percent comprehension, research occasianlly disapoints. You would say that science demystifies speed industry, prominatly created by Evelyn Wood, or better said, made it popular through US presidents. 

And for good reason: while some people (presidents) might have a uniquely quick eye and mind, Neuroscience has shown that most humans read about 300 words a minute and comprehension starts to wane around 600 w/min. 

Crushing, huh? But just because speed reading sounds too good to be true, doesn’t mean we can’t be better at reading. Depending on the type of material moving through, one quick tip and "trick" can help you read a little bit faster. Especially would be useful if you need to make through an uninsterestig text quickly or when you need more effort and faster learning.

Well, one way you can do is to look for markers and keywords that that can communicate the central ideas properly. You can also see this in some reading coaches. That's why I would advise before reading the text, you approach the text top-down. Top-down in Neuroscience means that you prepare before actually start decoding words and connecting the meaning (aka actual reading). So we top-down before bottom-up. 

I have been always reading the other way, the bottom-up approach where I start from the begining for the chapter, first science, first word... and then make up the meaning. But when I think about that, it's looks really dumb, and it would be more efficient if I knew what the hell am I reading, before actually reading. 

And probably you do too? I mean, try it out...

This what I mean; for example, the table of contents provides an overview of what’s to come. And not all the chapters, sentences and even words are really that useful.

But somehow, we all feel guilty for not reading all of it from cover to cover. Turns out it's dumb. But I understand; that's how you do it in schools.

You get the point. Top-down and then bottom-up.

Speaking of bottom-up, Reading Speedster app on google play store, is good enough for me. I think it proves the point once you give it a chance to improve your reading skills. Because, it uses this principle: pre-read the text (top-down) and you get better at practicing speed reading (bottom-up).

Comments

Popular Posts